An easy but elegant gift to give to the writers and artists in your life is a handmade accordion journal. Using a few simple materials and your own personalization, these journals can be left blank for the recipient to write or draw and paint in, or you can fill it with your own memories, poems, stories or art.
You will need:
1. Two identical rectangles or squares of cardboard cut to any size. Cut up cereal boxes or gift boxes work well.
2. Craft or brown paper (lunch bags, grocery bags or package paper)
3. Large sheet of heavyweight paper (watercolor paper or mixed media paper)
4. Glue or Mod Podge
5. Black acrylic paint (available in craft stores in small bottles)
6. Metallic paint in color of your choice (available in craft stores in small bottles)
7. Any embellishments you want to use for the cover (Silk flowers, beads, metal embellishments etc.)
Start by covering your two cardboard pieces with torn pieces of craft or brown paper and glue flat. These will be used for the front and back cover of the journal. When dry, paint the covers first in black acrylic paint, and when dry, cover over black in metallic paint. Next, cut a long strip of watercolor or other heavy weight paper. This should be slightly smaller in size than the height and width of the covers. Fold the paper back and forth in an accordion fold so it will fit inside each cover. Glue the first and last pages of your blank paper to the inside of the front and back covers. Place completed journal under something heavy overnight to flatten out pages. If desired, add your own touch to the inside or leave blank. Decorate front cover with embellishments.
Wishing all our readers a very happy holiday season and all the best for the coming year!