Monday, February 13, 2017

"If I" Poem


Writers of all ages are inspired by the simple suggestion to imagine themselves as a different entity. Model the process by using your own poem or my poem, “If I Were A Cloud.” I chose this subject because watching clouds is not only a joy but a consolation for me. Their floating beauty in the sky often lifts my spirits. To begin the exercise, ask your students to do a quick write on their chosen topic. Here is my quick write:



Then form a list of words that could be used in the poem to describe your feelings:


Finally, create the poem, using the line “If I were . . .” at the beginning of each stanza. Note that the poem does not have to rhyme. Encourage your students to choose figurative language over a forced rhyme scheme. It is more important to paint a picture for your reader than to rhyme. Here is an image of my poem, “If I Were a Cloud.”



In addition, or before you have students write individual poems, you might do a group writing exercise with the same process. Quick Write, Quick List of Words, Poem.

Have fun imagining!



2 comments:

  1. Hi Jacqueline, if you were going to do this as a group write, would you stand in front and have the kids volunteer ideas and write them down as the kids said them?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! It would be fun group writing excecise.

    ReplyDelete